Tuesday, February 22, 2011

How do you feel about yourself?

Back to reality. Today is actually my Monday. My husband and I were both off Monday so today we are back to the grind :)

The Today showed did a great segment today on how women feel bad about their bodies. They found that the average women has 13 negative comments about themselves on a daily basis. 13?!? That is crazy. The negative comments were actually really perverse and if a significant other were to say these comments it would be considered emotional abuse. So why is it OK for women to talk/think about themselves this way? They went on to say that women have actually trained themselves to think this way and it has actually become "normal" to think badly about ourselves. It's so sad that women put so much of their worth in their looks. There is so many things, other than looks, that women can contribute to society.

They also followed up with ways to turn this harmful thinking around! Read about them here:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/41669051/ns/today-today_health/

I can definitely see how this happens. You see, I use to struggle with my self image and did not think very highly about myself. A couple of years ago, I said screw that! I am beautiful and I am sick of feeling like I am not good enough. It wasn't helping anyone by my negative thinking. I am happy with my body! Don't get me wrong, I still struggle SOMETIMES, however, I can usually push those thoughts out of my mind and focus on the positive. Instead of trying to loose weight or focus so much on being skinny I started focusing on being thankful for a strong healthy body. I also know that when I work-out (by doing things I actually enjoy) and eating good wholesome food I am fueling that positive outlook about my body because these are things that make me feel good.

I leave you with a quote to think about:

"It seems to me there`s this tyranny that`s not accidental or incidental, to make women feel compelled to look like somebody they`re not. I think the effort is being made to get us to turn our time and attention to this instead of important political issues."
~Eve Ensler

How does this quote make you feel? Do you agree that maybe they are trying to take our attention away from more important issues?

No comments:

Post a Comment